Animating and Rendering!

Once we had the scene set in place, all that was left to do was import the files and animate then render each scene. Rachael and I met and discussed each scene, what was happening, the camera placement and how many frames per scene in correlation to the animatic. Considering that the animation was to be 24 frames per second, we used this as a guideline for the animation. We had a slight leeway with the timing as our animatic wasn’t as long as the animation should be (25 seconds max.) This was helpful as we needed some extra frames to make the animations look more natural. We divided up the scenes and split them between us to animate. There wasn’t actually a massive amount of animating to be done thankfully so we knew we’d manage.

We created a check list of each scene and then whether it had been animated or rendered so we knew what we had completed and what still had to be completed.

The scenes from the right hand side were the ones that I had to complete by animating and rendering them. I’ll insert some screen play blasts to show the un-rendered movement of each scene.

Scene 2: A close up of the apple, with the only moving camera shot. (24 frames)

Scene 4: Worm leaving its hole in the ground. (took turns as this was probably the hardest to animate)

Scene 7: Apple flying through the sky. (25 frames)

Scene 8: Apple hitting the tree. (19 frames)

Scene 9: Apple falling on the ground. (25 frames)

Scene 10: Apples falling from the tree. (24 frames)

I simply animated these scenes by using the controls on the worm and then moving the apple and also slightly moving the tree when the apple hits. Using the key frame button in the animation menu was the how I created movement.

We looked at some inspiration before animating the worm’s movements. We needed to see the different ways that worms can move and the best way was to look at other animated shorts about worms.

A Worm’s TaleRobbyEarly Hatchling Gets The Worm

When it came to rendering, we used Arnold first time round. We split the rendering across 4 of our MacBooks and a Mac Computer in uni….it takes forever! We changed the render settings:

  • Image format – tif.
  • Frame/Animation – NAME.#
  • Start/End Frame – (frames that need rendered)
  • Renderable Camera – Cam. 1/2/3 etc.
  • Width – 1600
  • Height – 900
  • Image Size – HD_720 (first), HD_1080 (final)
  • Camera (AA) – 6 (higher = takes longer)
  • and; Render Sequence once this was all set

After rendering everything with Arnold, Rachael found a renderer called FurryBall. We used this as we rendered with Arnold in HD_720, so when using FurryBall it came out much better quality for the final animation. Also, Arnold took about 6 times longer to render the frames. For the final hand in on 12th May, we plan to use Arnold to render our frames in HD_1080.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s